The Corona pandemic has taken many lives so far and people are forced to live under the shadow of it because of it. Apart from this, now cases of Mucormycosis or Black Fungus are increasing in India after COVID-19. The infection is so severe that their eyes are also being removed to keep patients alive. There are many types of Mucormycosis or Black Fungus and now the government has shared some do’s and don’t for this. In the second wave of the coronavirus, these symptoms have started appearing in corona patients and the patients who have been cured are also showing symptoms of this disease.
What is the Black Fungus or Mucormycosis?
Black Fungus or Mucormycosis is a very rare infectious disease that thrives due to Mucor fungus. It mainly develops itself in soil, manure, plants, rotten fruits and vegetables. Many big experts say that it occurs everywhere, even in the nose and mucus of a healthy human. Steroids are used to treat severe coronavirus-infected patients and to reduce inflammation in the lungs. When the immune system becomes highly active in the body to fight the coronavirus, it protects the body from harm, but it reduces immunity in patients with diabetes and increases the sugar level. Doctors and experts believe that the immunity system becomes much weaker in patients who have been infected with the coronavirus or have undergone recovery and that is why the infection of black fungus disease has started infecting such people.
Who is getting infecting by Black Fungus
Within the last 2 weeks, this disease is happening to people who have been infected with the coronavirus or to patients who have recovered from the coronavirus disease. Doctors say that the disease has become much more active in the second wave of coronavirus and it is gradually increasing the number of its infections. People who already have a disease or whose immune system has weakened the system, such people are soon getting caught in this disease and this disease is causing the eyesight of people and in order to cure it in severe patients, their noses and jaws also had to be cut off from the patients’ bodies.
Symptoms of Black Fungus Infection
Some of the symptoms of this disease include headache, toothache and more. Here is a list of some signs, which suggest that you may have Mucormycosis.
- Pain and redness around the eyes / or nose
- Breathing Difficulty
- Bloody Vomiting
- Co-morbidities- Post Transplant / Maliciousness
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Immunosuppression by Steroids
- Changed Mental State
- Voriconazole therapy
- Skin rash
- Gradually less visible in the eye
- Feeling chest pain
- Jaw pain
- Half face or full face numb
Treatment for Black Fungus Infection
If you are seeing some symptoms of Black Fungus or Mucormycosis disease, then by contacting a doctor, you can control the disease through antifungal therapy and to a large extent patients are also cured. But most of the people coming into contact with this disease are losing their lives, many big experts believe that 50 percent of the people who are getting infected by this disease are dying at the present time and the remaining 50 percent of people are getting recovered.
Important things to take Care
Follow these do’s to deal with black fungus.
- Control hyperglycemia COVID-19
- Check the blood sugar level after being discharged from the hospital.
- Keep in mind the timing and dosage of taking steroids.
- Keep your water clean for humidifiers when undergoing oxygen therapy
- Use antibiotics or antifungals correctly
Important Precautions for Black Fungus Disease
Keep in mind what to avoid so that Mucormycosis infection does not become serious.
- Avoid warning signs and symptoms
- Do not take the symptoms like blocked nose lightly.
- When it comes to testing to detect fungal etiology, do not take a single step back.
- Do not spend a lot of time before starting treatment for Mucormycosis.
Prevention to Avoid black fungus
Be sure to follow these measures to prevent black fungus infection:
- If you are going to dusty places then use a mask.
- Keep yourself well covered while handling soil (horticulture), moss or compost
- If you have a sugar problem, then it is very important to keep your blood sugar under control.
- During the delivery of oxygen to the patients infected with the Coronavirus, it is important to check the humidity of their body and it is extremely important to do this continuously.
- Wash your nose twice a day.
- It is extremely important to take all necessary precautions as advised by the doctor.
Black Fungus or Mucormycosis can affect people with weakened immunity, and especially in COVID-19 disease, steroids and medications given to the patient can significantly affect one’s immunity power. As a result, you may be affected by a black fungal infection. Therefore, one needs to be cautious about their health for at least 2 weeks after recovering from coronavirus.
- What is Corona Virus Wave | There Symptoms and Effect Full Detail
- What are the symptoms of Yellow Fungus? Know everything about it